This cake has its little story … Marie-Pierre is the sweetest & most caring person I have ever met. We both have the same passion for baking (and for ice cream… ) & never missed an opportunity to share recipes. Working for the same company, we were sitting close one to another for a few years, and it must have been mid summer when she brought this delicious cake to work, made with the best Apricots of the Valais Region in Switzerland. She kindly shared her recipe with me and since then, I bake it on a regular basis, with fresh apricots or with cherries, frozen berries … any juicy fruits I have ! Thank you Marie-Pierre for your kindness always and see you soon for a coffee … and ice cream !
– 250g (2 cups) of all purpose flour
– 2 tbsp of baking powder (= 1 sachet de levure chimique)
– 2 eggs
– 20cl (3/4 cup) of sour cream
– ½ yogurt
– 180g (1 cup) of brown sugar
– 1 tsp of vanilla extract
– 10 to 12 fresh apricots
– 2 tbsp of vanilla sugar (or normal granulated sugar , or 1 sachet de sucre vanille)
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C (360 degrees F) and oil & flour your cake pan.
2. In a small bowl, mix the flour and the baking powder
3. In another big bowl, add the cream, yogurt, egg yolks (put aside the whites in another bowl), brown sugar & vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
4. Gradually, add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well.
5. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
6. Gradually & gently, add the egg whites to the cake batter with a spatula.
7. Pour the cake batter in your cake pan.
8. Remove the stone from the apricots so you get 2 halfs.
9. Add each half apricot on top of the cake batter, round part facing up.
10. Finally, pour some vanilla sugar on top of the cake & put in the oven for 40 minutes, until your cake have a nice golden color.
11. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.