You won’t learn anything new if I tell you that I am a BIG BIG fan of Chocolate. With this cold weather and the snow outside my window, my wish is to be under my huge warm purple blanket, watching something on TV, with a cup of coffee and one (or two) big (BIG) Double Chocolate Pecan Muffin … Those muffins are very easy to make and so delicious with the crunch of the pecan nuts, the moist of the chocolate chunks when you just take them out of the oven, and this strong cocoa taste .. yummy … ok, I think I need to go now and eat one more before I finish posting my recipe 🙂
Ingredients (for 18 muffins):
-300g (2 cups 1/2) of all purpose flour
– 50g (1/2 cup) of unsweetened cocoa powder
– 2 tsp of baking powder
– 1/2 tsp of baking soda
– 200g (1 cup) of granulated sugar
– 1/2 tsp of salt
– 200g (1 cup) of dark chocolate (or chocolate chips)
– 100g of butter
– 200ml (1 cup) of buttermilk room temperature (=lit ribot, lait elben)
If you don’t have buttermilk, you can easily do it: Put 2 tsp of white vinegar in a measuring cup. Pour milk into cup until it reaches 1 cup total. Let it sit for about 5 min. Here you go ! You have buttermilk !
– 2 eggs
– 100g (3/4 cup) of chopped pecan nuts
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C ( 390 degrees F) and prepare your cupcake pans with 18 muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, granulated sugar and salt. This is your dry mix. Set aside.
- In a small pan, add the butter and 60g (1/4 cup) of your dark chocolate and let it melt under low heat.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, whisk together the eggs & the buttermilk. Gradually, add the melted butter/chocolate and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the wet ingredients and gently mix together until just combined, and no pockets of flour remain (no need to overmix).
- Finally, stir in the chopped pecan & the chocolate chunks (or chocolate chips) BUT save 1/4 of them to put on top of your muffin. Mix quickly (don’t overmix)
- Spoon the batter into the muffin pan, filling the each cup almost all the way to the top.
- Sprinkle the top of the muffin with the remaining chocolate chunks
- Bake for 15 to 16 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Allow to cool for 10min – if you can … 🙂
- Those muffin are the best if you them the same day, but you can also store them in a air-tight container for a couple of days.