Baking Christmas cookies is tradition on the 24th, we usually do plenty. I have to fight to make sure my daughters, son & husband don’t eat them all once out of the oven … then, I try to keep some for the family and the rest for Santa of course ! After many tests, I finally came up with my perfect recipe, both for the cookies and for the frosting. The cookies themselves are very tasty and not rock solid (we care about Santa’s teeth 🙂 ) and the frosting … humm, delightful, the right amount between the butter, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. The frosting dries well enough for you to pack them in treat bags to offer to your loved ones on the 25th. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !
Ingredients for the cookies (for about 2 pounds of cookies):
– 250g (1 cup) of softened butter
– 180g (1 cup) of granulated sugar
– 1 tbsp of vanilla extract (or 2 sachets de sucre vanille)
– 400g (3 cups & 1/3 cup) of all purpose flour
– 1 tsp of baking powder
– 125g (1 cup)of ground almonds
– 2 eggs
– 1 tsp of cinnamon (optional, I don’t put any cinnamon as my daughters don’t like it, but I know this is usually a “must” for Christmas cookies !)
Ingredients for the frosting:
– 60g (4 tbsp) of butter softened
– 30g (2 tbsp) of cream cheese (Philadelphia cheese for example)
– 45g (3 tbsp) of greek yogurt
– 300g (3 cups) of confectioner’s sugar
– 2 tsp of vanilla extract
Directions (prepare the cookie dough the day before)
- In a big bowl, mix together the butter softened, the sugar and vanilla extract until it become creamy.
- Gradually, add the flour, the baking powder, the cinnamon (optional), the ground almonds, and the 2 eggs and mix until well incorporated.
- Form a bowl with the cookie dough and chill out in the fridge for 4hrs, or the entire night if you decide to do your cookie dough the day before.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C (360 degrees F) and grease a pan.
- Take the cookie dough out of the fridge and roll out until you get it to about 5mm thick.
- Cut your cookie dough with your Christmas shape and put in the oven for about 10minutes, until they get a nice golden colour.
- Let them cool down totally before frosting (if you decide not to pour frosting, then, before putting the cookies in the oven, brush over whisked egg yolk so they will get a very nice golden colour when cooking)
Directions for the Frosting:
- In a bowl, cream together the butter softened and the cream cheese.
- Add the greek yogurt.
- Gradually, add the confectioner’s sugar.
- Finally add the vanilla extract.
- And your can now frost your cookies and decorate them as you wish !
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !