Last week, I cooked lentils for dinner and I decided to use the left over to create little “verrines” as appetisers for my family coming over for the week end. I simply mixed the rest of the lentils, add a bit of sour cream, and with a final touch of Foie Gras on top: delightful ! I serve it cold but you can also decide to serve it warm and add the Foie Gras at the last minute.
Ingredients (as an appetiser but you can do more if you decide to go for the main dish)
– 120 g (1/3 pound) of dry lentils
– 40g (1 once 1/2) of slices bacon
– 1 carrot
– 1 onion
– olive oil
– 1 tbsp of Herbs of Provence (optional)
– 4 tbsp of liquid sour cream
– 50g of foie gras (2 onces)
– salt & pepper
- Slice the onion and fry it in a pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil under medium/high heat. Once it gets a nice golden colour, remove and put aside.
- In a pan, fry the bacon (without oil) and put aside with the onion.
- Peal the carrot and cut in small cubes, put aside with the bacon & onion.
- Rince your dry lentils over cold water, and pour them in a pan.
- Pour cold water in the pan (3 times the volume of the lentils you just added, so if you had one glass of lentils, pour 3 glasses of cold water in your pan)
- Add the onion, bacon & carrot (and Herbs of Provence)
- Cook under medium heat for about 30 minutes. I usually don’t cover my pan but if you see that the water reduces too quickly you can half cover your pan or reduce the heat so it cooks slowly.
- The lentils are cooked when they are not hard anymore when you eat them.
- Salt & pepper and it is ready to be served (if you use it as a main dish, or continue with below for the verrine … )
If you want to do the verrines:
- Mix your lentils in a blender until it gets smooth.
- Add 3 to 4 tbsp of sour cream (the amount of sour cream is really up to you, you can add less, or more if you like it creamy :))
- Pour the mix in your verrines and let it chill in the fridge for an hour.
- 15 min before serving, get the Foie Gras outside the fridge and cut it in small cubes
- Take the verrines outside the fridge and add the foie gras and some parsley
- They are ready to be served !