I first heard about Red Velvet cupcakes and how famous they are last year. So here I am, trying the red velvet recipe ! As my daughters heard that I was about to bake cup cakes, they both asked whether they could help and, of course, we then decided to change it to Pink Velvet cup cakes ! The outcome looked so girlish and they loved it. One famous recipe now ticked off my TO DO list 🙂
Ingredients (for 12 cup cakes) :
-1 ¼ cups of all purpose flour
-1 cups of granulated sugar
– 2 tsp of cocoa powder
– ½ tsp of baking soda
– ½ tsp of salt
– 1 eggs
– ¼ cup of vegetable oil
– ½ cup of buttermilk room temperature (=lit ribot, lait elben)
If you don’t have buttermilk, you can easily do it: Put 1 tsp of white vinegar in a measuring cup. Pour milk into cup until it reaches ½ cup total. Let it sit for about 5 min. Here you go ! You have buttermilk !
– ½ tbsp of white vinegar
– 1 tsp of vanilla extract
– 1 tsp of red food coloring gel
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (= 350 degrees F) and add the paper liners in your cup cake mould.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda & salt until well combined.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, vegetable oil, buttermilk, vinegar & vanilla extract until smooth & thoroughly combined. Add your food coloring and mix until well incorporated.
4. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry mix and gently beat until you get a smooth consistency.
5. Pour & divide the batter evenly among each cupcake papers, filling them to about 2/3 full.
6. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
7. Let cool completely before frosting.
I like cream cheese frosting on cup cakes as it gives THE final touch when you serve to your guests, however, I usually don’t put too much as it is very rich. Hence, the quantities below will give you a fair amount to be able to decorate your 12 cup cakes as it shows on the picture. Feel free to double the quantities if you are a frosting Fan 🙂
Ingredients for the Cream Cheese Frosting:
– 1/3 cup (80g) butter, at room temp
– 2.5 oz (75g) cream cheese, softened
– 2 cups (200g) powdered sugar
– 1 tsp vanilla
– food coloring (optional)
1. Mix the butter softened and the cream cheese until well combined
2. Add the vanilla extract (and fool coloring if you want)
3. Gradually, add the powdered sugar and beat until you reach a smooth consistency
4. You are ready to frost your lovely cup cakes !