On Fridays, we like to sit in the living room and watch a family movie all together (or finish one episode of ToyStory if our 2 year-old son is not yet in bed 🙂 ) so, no dinner at the table, but each one grabs a tray and a glass of apple juice (or Grape juice for adults …) and we enjoy the end of the week. I had to find something that was easy to eat and that I could prepare in advance. Those mini cakes / muffin are just perfect, cold or still a bit warm, with a green salad. You can also serve them as appetizers. For the muffins, I used a cheese that is typical from the Alps where I live, it is called “Reblochon”. You may be able to find it in a specialised cheese/foreign grocery store. You can also replace it with any cheese: camembert, mozzarella .. or any local cheese you have 🙂
FOR THE MINI CAKES of SMOKED SALMON and ZUCCHINI
– 3 eggs – 150g (1 ¼ cup) of all-purpose flour – 2 tsp of baking powder (1 sachet de levure) – 80ml ( 1/3 cup) of vegetable oil – 125ml (½ cup) of full fat milk (or semi skimmed) – 100 g of grated cheese (gruyere) – 180 g of smoked salmon – 1 1/2 zucchini / courgette – 1 tsp & 1 tbsp of olive oil – salt & pepper
– Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F) & oil and flour the mini cake mould -Wash the zucchini and grate it coarsely – In a pan, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and fry the grated zucchini. Salt and pepper – Cut the smoked salmon in thin slices (or cubes) – In a big bowl, mix together eggs, flour and baking powder – Gradually, add the vegetable oil, 1 tsp of olive oil, warm milk, and the grated cheese. Mix until well incorporated. – Add the salmon to the cake mixture, then the cooked grated zucchini – Pour it in your mini cake mould and bake for about 25min, until the cakes get a nice golden colour and when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean – You can serve it warm or let it cool and serve cold, as you prefer !
FOR THE CHORIZO and REBLOCHON Cheese MUFFINS
– 3 eggs – 125ml (1/2 cup) of full fat milk (or semi skimmed) – 80ml (1/3 cup) of vegetable oil – 150g (1 1/4 cup) of all purpose flour – 2 tsp of baking powder (1 sachet de levure) – 300g sliced chorizo (or sliced bacon) – 1/2 of reblochon cheese (200g) – Salt and pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F)
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs.
- Add the flour and baking powder, oil and milk until well incorporated.
- Salt and pepper.
- Cut 1/3 of the chorizo in tiny cubes/slices and add to the batter. Mix all the ingredients together.
- Cut the cheese in small cubes (1X1 inch) and wrap them with the rest of your chorizo.
- In each mould, pour 1/3 of the batter, add a few wrapped cheese cubes.
- Pour the rest of the batter in each mould.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 / 30min until they get a nice golden colour.
- You can serve warm (with the cheese still melted ..) but also cold with a green salad.