Beef Lasagna is one of the favourite family dish at home. I usually make a very big portion hoping I will be able to freeze some for one of those evenings you are coming back late from office or feeling lazy … wishful thinking ! We usually either finish the full dish the same day, or there is only one small portion left over for the next day. I don’t add much spices when I cook it, but some tabasco in your plate gives it a nice twist !
– 200g of Spinach Lasagna pasta sheets (or natural ones)
– 500g of grated cheese (Emmental)
Ingredients for the Meat Sauce:
– 700g (1 1/2 pounds) of minced meat (5% fat)
– 2 onions
– 3 garlic cloves
– 3 carrots
– 1 pound of fresh tomatoes (or 2 cans of pealed tomatoes )
– 1 can of tomato puree
– 3 Tbsp of Olive oil
– 2 Tbsp of Herbs of Provence (or 1 tbsp of thym)
– salt and pepper
Directions for the meat sauce:
- Cut the onions in slices and fry them in a large saucepan with 1 tbsp of olive oil under medium heat, until they get a nice golden colour.
- Peal the carrots and cut them in tiny cubes.
- If you have fresh tomatoes : Boil water in a pan. Once the water is boiled, stop the heat and add your tomatoes for about 20 to 30 sec. Throw the hot water in the sink and add cold water. Your tomatoes will then be easier to peal. Peal them and cut them in cubes
If you don’t have fresh tomatoes: cut the canned tomatoes in cubes
- Once the onions are cooked, put them aside in a bowl with the carrots.
- In the same sauce pan you fried the onions, add 2 tbsp on olive oil and fry the minced meat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the onions, carrots, crushed garlic, tomatoes cubes and the tomato puree.
- Add the herbs, salt and pepper.
- Cook under medium/low heat for about 30min
Ingredients for the White Sauce:
– 1/2 l (2 cups) of hot milk
– 40g of butter (2 big Tbsp)
– 40g (1/3 cup) of all purpose flour
– 1 tsp of nutmeg
– salt & pepper
Direction for the white sauce :
- In a pan, melt the butter medium/high heat.
- Add the flour and keep stirring until for 1 to 2 min under medium heat.
- Then, add the hot milk. Whisk the mixture until it get thicker and starts doing a few bubbles. Stop the heat.
- Add salt, pepper and 1 tsp of nutmeg.
FINAL DIRECTIONS for the LASAGNA:
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C (420 degrees F)
- In a large and high ovenproof dish, spread some white sauce, cover with one layer of spinach (or natural) lasagna sheets. Spread with meat sauce, and grated cheese. Add white sauce.
- And do it again: lasagna sheets, meat sauce, grated cheese & white sauce.
- Add one last layer of lasagna sheets.
- Cover with white sauce and grated cheese.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 20min.
- It is ready to be served ! with green salad and some tabasco if you like !