Carrot cake are not very well known in France but I had to try them so I decided to make cute tiny cupcakes so they will look more “attractive” to my family and be more likely to be eaten 🙂
I finished with cream cheese frosting, and the little carrots to add on top (I had some orange and green sugar paste left from Halloween )
It was a success, everyone loved them and I think I will do more anytime soon !
For 12 cup cakes :
– 250 g of carrots (it is about 5 carrots)
– 130 g of flour
– 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon of baking soda
– 2 eggs
– 180 ml of canola oil
– 80 g of granulated sugar
– 80 g of brown sugar (cassonade)
– 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the Cream Cheese Frosting :
– 30 g of butter
– 90 g of confectioners’ sugar (sucre glace)
– 50 g of cream cheese (such as Philadelphia Cheese)
– 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C (= 350 degrees F)
- Shred the carrots finely
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, the cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs with the oil. And add the sugars & vanilla extract and beat at high speed for about 2min.
- Gradually, add the dry mix into the “wet” mix , then add the shredded carrots.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Once cooked (you know they are cooked once you insert a knife into the cupcake and the tip of the knife comes out clean)
- Let it cool down while you are doing the cream cheese frosting
Directions for the cream cheese frosting :
In a bowl, beat together the butter softened with the cream cheese (philadelphia cheese) until it is smooth. Add the vanilla extract and confectioners sugar, and beat with an electric mixer at high speed until your frosting is light and fluffy.
Pipe the frosting onto the carrot cupcakes and it is ready to serve !
In case there is left over, the cupcakes can be refrigerated up to 2 days without any problem (even though I doubt they will last that long 🙂 )